A social media manager is a company representative who is responsible for curating social profiles. They monitor and respond to comments, create social media content, social media advertising campaigns, and act as the sole voice of the brand.
Social media managers are qualified experts who provide business organizations with the guidance and care they need and require to enhance their online social media presence.
What does a social media manager do?
Social media managers do a lot.
These social media wizards are responsible for tasks like:
- Create a social media strategy
- Create budgets for social media activities
- Work with internal stakeholders
- Manage change and adopt social media into an organizational culture
- Work with other marketing branches in the business organization to integrate social media with all forms of marketing
- Managing a business’ social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, TikTok, Snapchat, and more.
- Curating social channels
- Monitor, moderate, and respond to audience comments
- Manage social media partnerships with other brands
- Create and/or post shareable content
- Strategize and execute digital marketing campaigns and gather and analyze the data results from those campaigns
- Manage blogger and other influencer outreach programs
Some valuable skills a social media manager must have
- Copywriting. Copywriting is one of the most valuable skills social media managers have. Writing fantastic converting copy is required in many areas of a social media manager’s role. They are responsible for creating copy for social media profile descriptions, tweets, Facebook posts, YouTube captions, and more.
- Graphic and video design. Social media has evolved over the years it’s been around. Designing and creating visual content is becoming a must-have skill for social media managers.
- Public speaking. One of the biggest changes in the social media marketing world is the demand for live videos. Being able to speak in front of a live audience is a skill. Social media managers have to be confident enough to go live on social media to connect with their audience.
- Customer service/community engagement. Social media managers must have conversational skills and empathy to help your customers on social media.
- Behavioral psychology. Not something you would normally think about when considering valuable skills social media managers must have. But behavioral psychology explains the why behind something. Why are certain people attracted to certain social media posts? Why do people share? What gets people to truly care?
- Analytics. A social media manager should be the guiding light in your business when it comes to measuring your performance across various social channels. As such, learning the ins and outs of social media metrics and judging which ones are meaningful for your business is essential for a social media manager. Knowing how to read and interpret data is now an important skill for social media managers.
- Budgeting. As a social media manager, you might be allocated a budget to work with. Apart from paid advertising, you might have to pay for things like a social media management tool, designs, images, or courses to improve yourself. Having some basic financial and budgeting knowledge can make you better on the job.