Roblox was founded back in 2004. In its early stages, the platform struggled to capture the hearts and minds of gamers online. This, however, would change in the coming years. As technology lowered barriers to entry, more gamers made their way online, and the platform took off
Today, it’s a listed entity and generated hundreds of millions in revenue. But what makes it special? A few things. It’s a combination of a gaming hub with strong community and social elements. Users flock to the platform to make friends, enjoy multiplayer games, and spend money to enhance their avatars. There’s a whole lot more to Roblox and this blog post offers statistics that illustrate the platform's story in numbers.
56 Amazing Roblox Usage and Growth Statistics:
- 12 Notable Roblox Statistics
- Roblox Statistics Showing Usage Around the World
- Roblox Monthly Active Users Statistics
- Roblox Daily Active User Statistics
- Roblox Engagement Statistics
- Game Statistics on Roblox
- The Most Popular Games on Roblox
- Roblox User Age Statistics
- Roblox Users Gender Statistics
- Roblox Gaming Device Statistics
- Roblox Revenue Statistics
- Roblox Mobile Spending Statistics
- How Much Developers and Creators Make on Roblox
12 Notable Roblox Statistics
What are Roblox’s most impressive statistics? In the last decade, the platform has achieved amazing feats. Beyond the growth that we’ve alluded to above, Roblox has created a unique space for indie game developers and indie game enthusiasts to share. Here are the most notable accomplishments it’s enjoyed:
1. 8 million developers call Roblox home.
2. The platform has delivered 20 MILLION gaming experiences since 2008
3. $329 million has been paid to its community of game developers from around the world.
4. Roblox has amassed 30.6 BILLION Hours of engagement since 2008
5. Over 100 million people have spent more than $1 billion on Roblox (up from $70 million in 2019). This is a big deal. It shows that virtual goods are a lucrative market.
6. Roblox has 32.6 million daily active users. That’s up from 7 million daily active users in 2016.
7. Roblox once clocked 5.7 million concurrent users, making that it's all-time peak usage.
8. Community developers have generated over $200 million in revenue through Roblox.
9. Roblox has over 18 million games.
10. Roblox’s largest age group is 16-year-olds who make up 67% of its user base.
11. Mobile devices account for 72% of the platform's user sessions, eclipsing desktop sessions by 47%.
12. 3% of the gaming platforms users access Roblox through gaming consoles.
Roblox Statistics Showing Usage Around the World
It’s no secret that going global is a major scaling tactic. Roblox has been able to capitalize on its appeal by expanding its user base to all corners of the globe. From the US and Canada to Europe and Asia, the user-generated gaming giant has created an international community that lives and loves indie gaming. Here is a closer look at Roblox’s footprint across the world.
13. Roblox was used by people from over 180 countries between January and September 2020.
14. The largest number of active users comes from North America (US and Canada), accounting for 33% of the platform’s base.
15. Together, the US and Canada flood the platform with 11.5 million daily active users.
16. Between Q3 of 2019 and Q3 of 2020, Roblox saw 9.4 million daily active users join the platform from the US and Canada alone.
17. Europe offers the second largest user base with 10.4 million daily active users.
18. Europe accounts for 29% of Roblox's global user base.
19. 5.4 million daily active users stream in from Asia.
20. Between Q1 and Q4 of 2020, Asia has contributed 2.6 million daily active users to the platform.
Beyond North America, Europe and Asia
While North America, Europe, and Asia are the largest markets for the gaming platform, there are still many gamers in other regions that use the platforms.
21. 9 million daily active Roblox users are based in territories outside of Asia, Europe, and North America.
22. The rest of the world has added 3.21 times more users to Roblox in under 2 years.
Roblox Monthly Active Users Statistics
Monthly active user counts are typically more favorable numbers to consider. They offer investors a better sense of a platform’s usage over time, as well as act as a predictor of what’s to come, should all other factors remain constant. For Roblox, there’s been a significant increase since 2016.
23. In 2020, Roblox averaged a growth rate of just over 4.6 million monthly active users per month.
Roblox Daily Active User Statistics
Daily active users represent all engagements that take place on the platform within a 24-hour window, and Roblox has seen staggering growth since 2018.
24. Roblox has 37.1 million daily active users worldwide.
25. The platforms experienced a growth spurt between 2018 and 2020, adding 23.3 million new users.
26. In fact, the number of Roblox daily active users in Q4 2020 increased by 170.8% compared with Q4 2018.
27. Roblox's average daily user spends 156 minutes or 2.6 hours per day on the platform.
Roblox Engagement Statistics
Roblox measures the number of hours a user spends on the platform as engagement hours. These include searches for new games, visits to its avatar store, and creating games using its free gaming engine. Back in 2006, founders David Baszucki and Erik Cassel could only have imagined this level of interaction on the platform.
What’s attributed to this much engagement? Well, a few key factors. Since 2006, the world has changed a whole lot. Take internet access. Where countries in North America and Europe have enjoyed reliable and fast fibre connectivity, in other parts of the world like Africa, fibre is only taking root today. Mobile phones have also evolved. Most might remember that Apple’s first-generation iPhone was only released in 2007.
And when you consider that for all of its amazingly new functionality at the time, it pales in comparison to the processing power, RAM, and storage capacity of the phones we use today.
Data plans for mobile devices have also become far more affordable. You can also get larger data plans that make it possible to game on your phone for hours on end.
But that’s not all that’s influenced Roblox’s growth spurt since 2020. In mid-March of 2020, the world began to feel the impact of the coronavirus. For the first time in a long time, being outside was something that governments urged their countries to avoid with some instituting serious measures to cut infection rates.
Anyone caught outside could be fined and faced imprisonment. These measures forced more people to turn to the web. People began using the internet for real-time updates on the world and the pandemic. They also started gaming. Like YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and many other online platforms, Roblox became an outlet.
What do Roblox’s usage statistics look like? Here are some pretty telling figures that show how much people love the platform:
28. In Q4 of 2020, Roblox recorded 8.43 billion hours of user engagement.
29. Between Q4 of 2018 and of 2020, Roblox saw a 2.1 billion-hour increase in engagement.
30. Between January and September of 2020, Roblox registered 5.01 billion hours of engagement.
Game Statistics on Roblox
Roblox has likely the largest collection of online games today. But what makes the platform all the most engaging is its community feel. On the platform, users can upvote, downvote, like and favorite games and more titles offer multiplayer functionality. At a glance, games may seem to offer little engagement considering the average playtime, however, with over 70% of users accessing the platform from mobile devices, these experiences could be short escapes in between other activities users are involved in.
The Most Popular Games on Roblox
The best indicator of game popularity is the number of visits. Adopt Me! has been a favorite for a while and is currently the most popular game on Roblox. In second place is Tower of Hell followed by MeepCity, Brookhaven, and Piggy.
31. Here are the top 10 most popular Roblox games along with total visits since joining Roblox:
- Adopt Me! 25 billion
- Tower of Hell 14.22 billion
- MeepCity 11.6 billion
- Brookhaven 10.7 billion
- Piggy 9.26 billion
- Royale High 6.4 billion
- Murder Mystery 2 6.35 billion
- Jailbreak 5.32 billion
- Welcome to Bloxburg 4.98 billion
- Work at Pizza Place 3.38 billion
32. Here’s a breakdown of the average time in minutes spent playing the most visited games on Roblox:
- Adopt Me! 12.93 minutes
- Tower of Hell 3.81 minutes
- MeepCity 7.54 minutes
- Brookhaven 13.134 minutes
- Piggy 7.45 minutes
- Royale High 15.46 minutes
- Murder Mystery 2 10.79 minutes
- Jailbreak 13.91 minutes
- Welcome to Bloxburg 22.64 minutes
- Work at Pizza Place 13.68 minutes
33. The oldest game to make our top 10 most-visited list is Work at a Pizza Place. It’s been on Roblox for 13 years, making its debut in 2008.
Roblox User Age Statistics
Roblox is far more popular with younger users with most being over the age of 9 years. The largest demographic consists of users between the ages of 9 and 12, pointing to the growth of a younger gaming audience. This is driven by access to mobile devices, computers, and consoles.
Other factors include the growing online gaming market and the increasing attention gaming received in the last few years. While these are indie games and not part of any gaming competitions, access and multiplayer functionality offer younger gamers a way to connect with other gamers and the chance to foster a more inclusive community.
34. Here’s a breakdown of Roblox’s daily active user demographics by age:
Roblox Users Gender Statistics
One of the more interesting conversations about the online gaming market has to be centered around gender. In the past, female gamers seemed to be fewer in number, however, that appears to be changing. Roblox has seen an almost even pairing and growth in female user numbers since 2016.
35. Roblox gender demography skews towards males who represent 51% of the total user base.
36. 44% of users on Roblox are female.
37. Signing up for Roblox includes selecting a gender which is an optional field. As much as 5% of users have chosen to not identify with male or female genders.
38. Since 2016, Roblox has seen more females joining the platform. Female users base figures grew by 9%, up from 35%.
Roblox Gaming Device Statistics
Access to Roblox is undoubtedly one of its attractions. By giving users the ability to have gaming experiences on mobile devices, desktop computers, and gaming consoles, Roblox has made it easier for a larger audience to enjoy more games.
39. 72% of Roblox user sessions take place on mobile devices.
40. Desktop gaming experiences account for 25% of Roblox’s platform usage.
41. 3% of users access Roblox through gaming consoles.
Roblox Revenue Statistics
Initially, Roblox was a free-to-play platform and still includes many free gaming experiences. This changed in recent years with the addition of Roblox premium, and the inclusion of commissions charged to developers for successful transactions. While these revenue streams add to its bottom line, Roblox has been wildly successful selling virtual goods.
Its currency, Robux, can be earned from its website or purchase on a one-time basis or through a subscription to Roblox Premium. To have access to Robux, you must create a user account. The more exciting part is that Robux can be exchanged into US dollars, adding a considerable amount of appeal to the platform.
Developers are also able to earn Robux and have more ways to do so. These include:
- Selling games access and enhancements to users
- Selling content and tools to other developers
- Offering engagement-based payouts
- Selling items to users via Roblox’s Avatar Marketplace
How Much Roblox Makes
Here’s a closer look at how much revenue Roblox generates:
42. Revenue grew from $349.9 million between Q1 and Q3 of 2019 to $588.7 million between Q1 and Q3 of 2020.
43. From January to September of 2020, Roblox sold $1.24 billion worth of Robux, almost double what it sold in 2019 and close to nearly 2 ½ times what it sold in 2018.
Roblox Mobile Spending Statistics
Mobile usage represents the largest form of access to Roblox, and so it’s no surprise that it would be where a large chunk of the platform’s revenue is generated.
44. 34% of Robux sales were generated through the Apple App Store between January and September 2020.
45. Google Play Store attributed 18% of Robux sales between January and September 2020.
46. Roblox’s US market spent $746.4 million in 2020 on the platform.
47. The average spend per user is $13.73 in Robux.
48. Average user spend has grown by 58% since 2019.
How Much Developers and Creators Make on Roblox
In the nine months ended September 30, 2020, Roblox had nearly 7 million active developers across more than 170 countries who had either created or updated an experience on the platform. This shows that the platform offers developers a chance to create and engage with a growing audience. And the effects of this kind of community translate into monetary gain. For their efforts, developers retain 70% of every game purchased through the platform where creators pocket 30% of revenue. Here’s a look at how game developers fair on Roblox:
49. In Q4 of 2020, developers generated $113.68 million.
50. Over the period of 2020, Roblox developers generated a combined $328 million in revenue.
51. In Q4 of 2020, developers saw an increase of 6.98x in revenue compared to early 2018.
52. Roblox paid 32 developers over $1 million in 2020.
53. 99.47% of developers earn less than $1,000 per year on Roblox.
54. While Robux can be exchanged for real currency, only 3,800 developers were eligible to complete transfers.
55. More than 960,000 developers banked virtual currency on the platform from September 2019 to September 2020.
Roblox has proven that online gaming isn’t reserved for larger, more competitive communities and competitions. Its 8 million strong community of developers, creators, and users show that it is possible to create a space where many can thrive, and still be profitable. If you’re looking for an escape, be sure to check out the platform. You’re bound to find a gaming experience hidden among the 20+ million that you will enjoy.