As influencer marketing because an increasingly important tool to market your business, NeoReach wanted to take a deeper look at the ways we can inform future strategies. The goal of this report is to give insight into how and when to use influencer marketing on TikTok. We looked at data from 2022 and analyzed the performance and types of sponsored content at different times of the year, with the goal of using the previous year to help shape future decisions. By the end of this report, we hope to answer any and all questions about influencer marketing on TikTok.
Cracking the Code: Unveiling the Top 2023 TikTok Campaigns:
The data presented in this report was collected using our weekly data compilations of sponsored TikTok videos. In order to qualify, and be included in our dataset, each video had to comply with FTC disclosure regulations. Our dataset consisted of sponsored TikToks posted from January to December 2022, from creators based in the United States and Canada.
We analyzed over 9,700 videos in our dataset to analyze trends in sponsored content on TikTok over 2022. We looked at quarterly metrics, finding what brands and industries were sponsoring the most content at that time, and what type of ads they were using. With this data and analysis, we can see the trends that formed in 2022, and use them to inform future marketing strategies.
2022 Quarterly Data
Here we will investigate the top brands and industries in each quarter, along with the most popular types of ads.
In Q1 2022, Bang Energy sponsored 74 videos, more than 2 times any other brand that quarter. Other top brands included Paramount, McDonald’s, and Amazon.
In Q1, Food & Drinks dominated the space with 522 sponsored videos. Food & Drinks, Beauty, Fashion, and Entertainment brands sponsored 75% of the videos sponsored by these 10 industries.
Calls To Action
In Q2, Shein sponsored the most videos, despite not being in the top 10 for Q1. This quarter had 6 new brands at the top and more variation in the number of videos sponsored.
The top industries remained consistent with Q1, except for Health and Wellness which replaced Finance. For every industry, other than Beauty, there was an increase in the number of videos sponsored.
Calls To Action
In Q3, Amazon was the top brand, with 85 sponsored videos. Vooz Hydrate, McDonald’s, Feet Findr, and Dunkin’ all sponsored 22 videos in Q3.
This quarter we saw Consumer Electronics rise in popularity. Despite Food & Drinks and Beauty brands sponsoring fewer videos, they still remain at the top for Q3.
Calls To Action
In Q4 Amazon sponsored 100 TikToks, the highest of any brand over 2022. In this quarter, we saw three new brands rise to the top: Hi Smile, Bumble, and Celsius.
Food & Drinks, Fashion, Beauty, and Entertainment remained the top 4 industries in 2022, despite their individual numbers decreasing in Q4.
Calls To Action
Industry Data Breakdown
Most Viewed Brands
Quarterly Brands vs Creators
Q2 was the busiest quarter for influencer marketing on TikTok, with the highest number of brands sponsoring content and the highest number of creators being sponsored. Meanwhile, the fewest brands sponsored content in Q4, with less than 1000 brands.
Industry Engagement Rate
Brand Engagement Rate
Industries’ Views By Quarter
Industry View Change
In this graph, we show the percent change in the number of views for each industry from Q1 to Q4. Photography had a 2581% increase in views, the highest of any industry. Education had the biggest decrease in views, at -94%
Number of Videos vs. Hour
This graph is showing the frequency of sponsored videos posted at each hour of the day. More than 50% of these videos were posted between 12 PM and 5 PM. 3 PM was the most popular time to post a sponsored video in 2022, with a total of 967 videos.
Number of Views vs. Hour
In this graph, we can see that after 9 AM the time of posting has little effect on the average views a video will get, until about 12 AM. There is significant variation in the average views of videos posted from 12 - 5 AM. Views reach their lowest with videos posted at 6 AM.
This chart shows the brand that sponsored the most videos each month of 2022. Both Shein and Amazon were the top for 4 months, and had the biggest months in April and October, respectively. In March, Bang Energy was the top brand with only 17 videos, showing a general decrease in videos sponsored by brands that month.
Campaign Types by Industry
What Does This Mean for 2023?
How can we use the data shown in this report to look into the future
The Future of TikTok in 2023
Using the data and analysis showcased in this report, we can make some predictions about influencer marketing on TikTok in 2023:
Expect to see a shift in the most popular industries:
- While, Food & Drinks, Fashion, Beauty, and Entertainment sponsored the most videos each quarter of 2022, the number of videos these industries sponsored was on a decline quarter-to-quarter.
- Industries, such as Gaming and Tech, were on the rise throughout the year. We expect these industries to continue to grow in the space.
We will see a shift in the size of creators brands want to work with
- Throughout the year many big brands chose to sponsor more videos, with smaller creators, rather than sponsoring the bigger creators for fewer videos
- With this strategy, brands can reach a more diverse audience and run more campaigns, without blowing the budget.
The best time for influencer marketing on TikTok is Q2
- The highest number of brands are sponsoring content within these few months, and are working with the highest number of creators
- The average engagement is high in this quarter and can be a valuable time for brands to make themselves seen on TikTok
- Q2 is the most saturated time for influencer marketing on TikTok, with 1,140 brands sponsoring 1,252 creators, the most of any quarter in both brands and creators.
- Food & Drinks, Fashion, Beauty, and Entertainment brands have dominated the space, making up 61% of videos sponsored and 54% of brands in 2022.
- Industries such as Gaming and Consumer Electronics are gaining momentum on TikTok and will continue to rise, with a 91% and 239% increase in views, respectively, over 2022.
- Brands focus on awareness campaigns on TikTok, not only being the most popular with 92% of all sponsorships being of this type but also averaging the highest amount of diggs with more than 20.7K per video.
- Amazon is the only brand that was among the top brands for each quarter. It had almost double the amount of views of any other brand with a total of more than 205M over 267 videos.
Influencer Marketing is becoming a central part of TikTok, for creators and brands alike. In this report, we look at how certain trends change quarterly, and when the best time for influencer marketing on TikTok is. We analyzed the brands and industries that were sponsoring the most on TikTok in 2022, and the ways in which they were doing this, looking at the types of ad campaigns brands were running. We look at how views changed over the year and the engagement rates for brands and industries. With so many brands wanting to join the space, there is always more information and trends that can be used to get the best results. Using the information in this report, brands can plan out future campaigns, knowing the best strategies and what to expect.