As of 2019, there were 3.48 billion people using social media, according to We Are Social. Google dominates the most-visited-sites rankings but social media sites see a huge share of time spent online by internet users.
For marketers, these statistics show that your marketing strategy should include social media marketing. Social media provides too many opportunities to reach consumers that businesses cannot afford to ignore.
When motivation fails you as a marketer, you can use these social media quotes from industry experts and entrepreneurs to empower you. The quotes will teach you how to handle struggles and face challenges in your marketing initiatives.
Whether you are an entrepreneur, business owner, marketer, or digital agency, the following inspirational social media quotes will guide you.
55 Social Media Quotes to Inspire Your Social Media Marketing Efforts
- “Social media is not a media. The key is to listen, engage, and build relationships.” --- David Alston, author
- “Think about what people are doing on Facebook today. They’re keeping up with their friends and family, but they’re also building an image and identity for themselves, which in a sense is their brand. They’re connecting with the audience that they want to connect to. It’s almost a disadvantage if you’re not on it now.” --- Mark Zuckerberg, Co-founder and CEO of Facebook
- “Social media is the ultimate equaliser. It gives a voice and a platform to anyone willing to engage.” --- Amy Jo Martin, Founder and CEO of Digital Royalty
- “Social marketing eliminates the middlemen, providing brands the unique opportunity to have a direct relationship with their customers.” --- Bryan Weiner, CEO, Comscore
- “You don’t need a corporation or a marketing company to brand you now: you can do it yourself. You can establish who you are with a social media following.” --- Ray Allen, former American professional basketball player
- “The first rule of social media is that everything changes all the time. What won’t change is the community’s desire to network.” --- Kami Huyse, PR & social media strategist, entrepreneur, CEO Zoetica Media
- “Social media allows big companies to act small again” --- Jay Baer, keynote speaker, emcee, author, and entrepreneur
- “Social media will help you build up loyalty of your current customers to the point that they will willingly, and for free, tell others about you.” --- Bonnie Sainsbury, Founder and CEO of Social Media Smarter
- “Pushing a company agenda on social media is like throwing water balloons at a porcupine.” --- Erik Qualman, author, and motivational Speaker
- “Social media is about sociology and psychology more than technology.” --- Brian Solis, digital analyst, author, keynote speaker
- “Content is fire. Social media is gasoline.” --- Jay Baer, keynote speaker, emcee, author, and entrepreneur
- “Social Media can provide a conversational extension to a B2B company’s nurturing programs. Social Media gives us the opportunity to humanise our communications and make our companies more approachable.” --- Ardath Albee, CEO & B2B marketing strategist, marketinginteractions.com
- “Search is about figuring out what people are looking for when they enter keywords into their favorite search engine. Social media is what people are actually saying to each other; they’re telling us what they’re looking for. We, as marketers, should be able to fit it all together pretty nicely.” --- Norm Elrod, Digital Media Consultant, joblessandless.com
- “Social media creates communities, not markets.” --- Don Schultz, marketing pioneer
- “Social media is a contact sport.” --- Margaret Molloy, CMO of SiegelGale
- “Social Media puts the “public” into PR and the “market” into marketing.” --- Chris Brogan, President of New Marketing Labs, Chrisbrogan.com
- “Just as you don’t need to be on every single TV channel, I don’t believe a brand needs to be on every single social media in one big way.” --- Shiv Singh, CMO Eargo, author, speaker
- “Social media is changing the way we communicate and the way we are perceived, both positively and negatively. Every time you post a photo or update your status, you are contributing to your own digital footprints and personal brand.” --- Amy Jo Martin, Founder and CEO of Digital Royalty
- “Social media isn’t the end-all-be-all, but it offers marketers unparalleled opportunity to participate in relevant ways. It also provides a launch-pad for other marketing tactics. Social media is not an island. It’s a high-power engine on the larger marketing ship.” --- Matt Dickman, Vice President and head of digital communications, Comcast Corporation
- “Social media is here. It’s not going away; not a passing fad. Be where your customers are: in social media.“ --- Lori Ruff, speaker, author
- “How do you know your content’s relevant? Increased social traffic, engagement & quality leads.” --- Jason Miller, communications strategist and political manager
- “Build it, and they will come” only works in the movies. Social Media is a “build it, nurture it, engage them, and they may come and stay.” --- Seth Godin, sethgodin.com
- “Social Media is about the people! Not about your business. Provide for the people and the people will provide for you.” --- Matt Goulart, Founder, Ignite Digital
- “When creating a social media campaign, make sure you know your audience well.” --- Liz Azyan, author and social media expert
- “The qualities that make Twitter seem insane and half-baked are what makes it so powerful.” --- Jonathan Zittrain, Professor of Law at Harvard
- “Why are we trying to measure social media like a traditional channel, anyway? Social media touches every facet of business and is more an extension of good business ethics.” --- Erik Qualmann, author and motivational Speaker
- “The beauty of social media is that it will point out your company’s flaws; the key questions is how quickly you address these flaws.” --- Erik Qualmann, author and motivational speaker
- “With social media so prevalent we are all EXTREMELY visible. Your prospective clients, your peers and your competition can drill as deep as they wish searching, reading and gathering information online about you and posted by you without you ever knowing who’s searching. Depending on what they find, your prospects may choose to do business with you or not.” --- Mari Smith, Facebook marketing expert, social media influencer, speaker, and author
- “I get a 100% email open rate,’ said nobody ever. All the more reason to place Facebook ads targeting your own email list.” --- Mari Smith, Facebook marketing expert, social media influencer, speaker, and author
- “Social media success formula: Content + Engagement + Conversion. Rinse. Repeat.” --- Mari Smith, Facebook marketing expert, social media influencer, speaker, and author
- “You are what you tweet.” --- Alex Tew, Founder & CEO of Calm
- “In Social Media, the “squeaky wheel” gets the oil. You have to put yourself out there, to find people who will relate or even debate with you, depending on what you are looking for.” --- Jessica Northey, Multimedia personality and digital consultant
- “You can’t tiptoe into social media. You have to jump into the pool. People have a natural fear of it. But the scary part is not being there. Your customer is already there.” --- Dave Saunders, Founder madisonmain.com
- “A large social-media presence is important because it's one of the last ways to conduct cost-effective marketing. Everything else involves buying eyeballs and ears. Social media enables a small business to earn eyeballs and ears.” --- Guy Takeo Kawasaki, marketing specialist, author, and Silicon Valley venture capitalist
- “Right now, with social networks and other tools on the Internet, all of these 500 million people have a way to say what they're thinking and have their voice be heard.” --- Mark Zuckerberg, Co-founder and CEO of Facebook
- “The next time you hear a social media myth, question it. Ask for the proof and ask out loud.“ --- Dan Zarrella, social media scientist and author
- “Sell-sell-sell sales methods simply do not work on social media unless you are a major brand, and even then, they are discovering that this is less and less effective every day.” --- Kim Garst, CEO at KG Enterprises
- “The way you treat your users or customers, and how you personally present yourself through social media, is a way to differentiate yourself from your competitors.” --- Alexis Ohanian, Reddit Cofounder
- “The goal of social media is to turn customers into your personal evangelist.” --- Shane Barker, ShaneBarker.com
- “There's the good and the bad aspects to social media. What I do find great is how much social media has changed businesses and the way they structure their marketing.” --- Danielle Louise Moinet, American professional wrestler, model, actress, and former American football player.
- “When I hear people debate the ROI of social media? It makes me remember why so many businesses fail. Most businesses are not playing the marathon. They're playing the sprint. They're not worried about lifetime value and retention. They're worried about short-term goals.” --- Gary Vaynerchuk, CEO of VaynerMedia, and author
- “Social media requires that business leaders start thinking like small-town shop owners. This means taking the long view and avoiding short-term benchmarks to gauge progress. It means allowing the personality, heart and soul of the people who run all levels of the business to show. And doing their utmost to shape word of mouth by treating each customer as though he or she were the most important customer in the world.” --- Gary Vaynerchuk, CEO of VaynerMedia, and author
- “By monitoring the activity taking place on social networks, retailers can amplify successful marketing and sales strategies and avoid weak tactics which can later be tied back to organizational objectives.” --- Ryan Holmes, Founder and CEO of Hootsuite
- “Social media is not just an activity; it is an investment of valuable time and resources. Surround yourself with people who not just support you and stay with you, but inform your thinking about ways to WOW your online presence.” --- Sean Gardner, digital marketer, keynote speaker, A.I. specialist, and author
- “For a truly effective social campaign, a brand needs to embrace the first principles of marketing, which involves brand definition and consistent storytelling.” --- Simon Mainwaring, brand futurist, global keynote speaker, and author
- Too many brands treat social media as a one way, broadcast channel, rather than a two-way dialogue through which emotional storytelling can be transferred. Simon Mainwaring, brand futurist, global keynote speaker, and author
- “The best advice for anyone trying to grow on social media is to be real and to be consistent. People will connect more with you if you stay true to yourself and who you are. Create a schedule where you have a balance of pictures and videos that people will love. Just have fun with it and don’t be afraid to take risks.” --- Lele Pons, Venezuelan-American artist and social media creator
- “Being effective at social media, whether for business or personal use, means capturing people who have short attention spans. They're only a click away from a picture of a funny cat, so you have to make your thing more compelling than that cat. And that can be a high bar.” --- Alexis Ohanian, Co-Founder, Reddit
It’s no longer optional to have a social media presence. You need to be present on social platforms as they are where most of your target customers spend their time.
These quotes will inspire you to not give up on your social media efforts. They will help you get through the struggles that you may face during your marketing efforts.