Every day countless content gets added to the different social media platforms. In fact, according to YouTube, more than 500 hours of videos get uploaded to YouTube per minute. If you thought that was impressive, Facebook’s data has revealed that over 1 billion stories are shared on Facebook every single day. The picture is pretty much the same for the other platforms.
It's great that these sites are so popular, but it means that it is extremely challenging for brands to stand out and get their posts noticed. To help brands make their content more visible, the right hashtags can make all the difference. While there are many online tools available that you can use to identify trending hashtags to help you leverage social media to its full potential, it can be a time-consuming exercise, especially if you post on multiple platforms. So, we have done the homework for you and compiled this ultimate list of trending hashtags on TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter and LinkedIn. It might not be an exhaustive list of all the popular hashtags, but it will help you to get started.
The Ultimate List of Trending Hashtags on Every Platform (2023):
Why Do Hashtags Matter So Much?
Before we explore the most popular hashtags per platform, just to make sure that we are on the same page, here is a quick overview of hashtags and their importance. A hashtag is a combination of keywords (without any punctuation or spaces) that has a # in front of it. What makes them such useful tools is that they help to group posts around a similar topic. So, if a user searches a specific hashtag, all the public posts that have used that specific hashtag will pop up.
This means that if you use hashtags smartly, your posts will be easier to discover which can help to boost your brand’s visibility tremendously. This way, you can even grow your reach beyond your current followers.
Now that we have recapped why every brand and marketer should use them, here are some best practices for using hashtags and which ones to use on the main social media platforms.
How to use hashtags on TikTok
TikTok might be the new kid on the block, but the competition is already fierce. To help you use hashtags even more effectively on TikTok, here are a few practical tips:
- TikTok allows only 100 characters for captions. This character limit includes your hashtags. So, avoid using too many hashtags on TikTok.
- Identify where the majority of your target audience resides and then try to upload your posts at the time when your target audience will generally be most active on TikTok. To help you with this, it is best to invest in scheduling tools that support TikTok such as Loomly.
- While trending hashtags can give you a good boost, it is better to opt for the right mix of hashtags. As popular hashtags have a lot of competition, try to include a few niched hashtags that do not have as much competition too.
- If you are feeling more adventurous and up for a challenge yourself, create a hashtag for a creative challenge and invite users to upload videos that use your hashtag and also remind them to tag their followers.
The most popular TikTok hashtags
We have scoured the web, but we still feel that our Top 20 list of trending hashtags for TikTok is the best.
You can also check out our online tool for searching TikTok hashtags by country. According to our tool, the following are some of the most popular TikTok hashtags currently in the United States:
Though, if your target audience mostly resides in the UK, you will want to use one of these hashtags. At the moment, the most popular TikTok Hashtags in the United Kingdom are:
How to use hashtags on Instagram
On Instagram, you can add hashtags in a couple of ways. In addition simply to adding it to your post description, you can also add a clickable hashtag in your profile section and as a clickable hashtag sticker on your Instagram Story.
While some marketing experts say that you should use the maximum of 30 hashtags that you are allowed and others instead feel that simply a few will do, here are some best practices for using Instagram hashtags that all can agree on.
- To help create brand awareness and motivate followers to share user-generated content (UGC), you should include a branded hashtag in your profile’s bio. This branded hashtag should be something that is exclusive to your brand.
- If you cater mostly to local target audiences, be sure also to include location-based hashtags.
- To improve the readability of your post, you can hide the majority of your hashtags (especially if you are going for the approach of using all 30 hashtags) by placing them below “See More”. While some brands actually create a separate comment just for the hashtags, this is not the best approach as your hashtags will ultimately become less effective.
- If you plan on using no more than two hashtags, it is better to place them above the fold (in other words before “See More”).
The most popular Instagram hashtags
According to Ingramer, a free online tool, the following are the top 20 trending Instagram hashtags in the past week.
If you compare it to the top 20 trending hashtags in the past month, you will notice that there are not many significant differences.
For more general Instagram hashtags that have proven to be popular, you can check out this list. Other hashtags that have made this list include:
How to use hashtags on YouTube
YouTube also includes hashtags like several other social media platforms. By using the right keywords as hashtags, you help to make your videos more visible which will ultimately help you to get more subscribers.
All in all, adding hashtags to your video content is actually quite easy. You can either use relevant hashtags in the title of your video or at the end of the description of your video.
The following are some best practices to help you make the most of hashtags on this popular video sharing platform:
- While you may include as many as 15 hashtags in your video’s description, it is best to stick to just a few – five at the most (with a maximum of two in the title of your video).
- It can also be very effective if you take the time to come up with your own branded hashtags. This way you can help viewers discover more of your videos. YouTube makes the hashtags blue and clickable. So, if you use a branded hashtag and a viewer clicks on it, he/she will be redirected to more of your videos.
- To ensure that YouTube does not remove your hashtags, always ensure that the hashtags that you include actually relate to your video. While using trending hashtags can help you with visibility, it will be of no use if they get removed.
- Lastly, be sure to go over YouTube’s Community Guidelines. The last thing that your brand can afford is to include a hashtag that will cause offense and result in your videos being removed completely.
The most popular YouTube hashtags
According to Tubics, a YouTube SEO tool, the following are some of the most popular YouTube hashtags:
Republicworld’s list of the most popular hashtags for YouTube focuses a lot less on children’s content, but more on general terms that virtually any brand will be able to include in a natural way. Their list include hashtags like:
How to use hashtags on Twitter
The good news is that you do not have to look far to identify trending Twitter hashtags. In your Twitter dashboard, you can use the Explore tab to view a list of hashtags and topics that are trending in your region. Here, you will also be able to see trending hashtags and topics that are curated by taking into account your interests. While it's a free and easy way to find hashtags, it does have a drawback. Unlike other paid tools, Twitter does not really have the ability to zoom in on the topics and hashtags that your target audience will find interesting.
While Twitter hashtags are very easy to use, here are a couple of best practices to ensure that you get the most benefit from using hashtags on Twitter.
- It is best to stick to only two relevant hashtags per tweet.
- Capitalize the first letter of each word to make it more accessible.
- Give Twitter users an incentive or reason to use your hashtags. It could be as simple as a retweet that will encourage them to take part in the conversation.
The most popular Twitter hashtags
The following are some of the most popular hashtags on Twitter that were revealed by Hubspot’s research:
According to Tweeplers, other Twitter hashtags that are currently trending across the globe include:
How to use hashtags on LinkedIn
While marketers initially did not think that much of LinkedIn hashtags, their use has picked up. According to research completed by The B2B HOUSE, LinkedIn posts on personal profiles with three hashtags outclassed posts without any hashtags by more than 10%.
The most important thing to remember when using hashtags on LinkedIn is that the audience is mostly professionals. So, the hashtags that you would typically use on TikTok and other social media platforms like #cute or #love will be too informal for LinkedIn’s business-savvy crowd.
To help you make the most of LinkedIn hashtags (and avoid embarrassing yourself), here are some tips:
- You can already begin by using hashtags in the summary of your profile. As this practice is not implemented by many users at this stage, it will help others to find your profile easier when they search for this hashtag.
- Other places where you can add hashtags are at the end of articles and in the description of your company.
- While you may use a number of hashtags, it is best to limit it to three. Two of these hashtags can come from the trending list below, while one can be a branded hashtag (like your brand name) that you can use in all your posts.
The most popular LinkedIn hashtags
According to Hootsuite, the top 20 LinkedIn hashtags for 2022 are as follows:
Other trending LinkedIn hashtags for 2022 that do not appear on this list, but have made it to other lists include these, are the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
What are trending hashtags on Instagram?
These are the most popular, most trending hashtags on Instagram:
What are the most popular hashtags 2022?
These are the most popular, most trending hashtags in 2022:
What is the most viral hashtag?
These hashtags are the best hashtags to go viral on Instagram:
What hashtag gets most likes?
These are Instagram’s top trending hashtags which gets the most likes:
- #love (1.835B)
- #instagood (1.150B)
- #fashion (812.7M)
- #photooftheday (797.3M)
- #beautiful (661.0M)
- #art (649.9M)
- #photography (583.1M)
- #happy (578.8M)